After long and “meaningful discussions” with prosecutors, Tory Lanez announced in a now-deleted tweet that he was unable to reach a plea deal in the alleged shooting of Megan Thee Stallion.
“The wording of this amazingly inaccurate. I wasn’t “UNABLE” to do anything. They offered what they offered what they offered so I wouldn’t goto TRIAL and I DECLINED, It’s very simple… and no I will not be giving any live testimony please report real news and accurate facts. ciao,” the tweet read.
The Megan Pete, Stallion’s real name, versus Tory Lanez trial will play out in court later this year after the Canadian rapper’s defense lawyer, Shawn Holley, appeared on Wednesday in a Los Angeles courtroom and agreed to return to court with her client on Dec.14 for his preliminary hearing. The preliminary is necessary for the case to move to trial.
During the court session on Wednesday, Deputy Attorney Kath Ta told the court that she expected at least ninety minutes of testimony.
And though Tory has come out to say that he had declined the plea deal tabled in front of him, lawyers representing both clients were last month hopeful that the matter would be resolved.
“As in every case, the lawyers for the parties discuss the possibility of resolving the case. This case is no different. That said, our position as to what did and did not happen in this matter remains unchanged,” Kath told Rolling stone last month.
According to a TMZ report, on July 11, 2020, an argument ensued between Tory Lanez and Megan Thee Stallion. An argument led to the arrest of Tory Lanez after police found a gun in his SUV, and Megan was rushed to the hospital with gunshot wounds.
And though it was first thought that Megan had cut her foot from broken glass of the car, she made it clear on July 15 saying that she had suffered “multiple gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.”
A woman believed to be Megan’s best friend and also present in the SUV shooting affirmed Megan’s accusations that Tory Lanez had, in fact, shot Megan.
“I want to clear up the rumors that I shot Megan. I WASN’T the one with the gun and would never do something like that. However I was present,” Kelsey Nicole wrote in the now-deleted Instagram post following the incident.
Megan Thee Stallion claims that she was taken into surgery to have the bullets pulled from her foot. Fortunately, they did not hit any bone or tendon. She, unfortunately, has had to deal with online hate, with memes making her the butt of bad jokes.
In a since-deleted Instagram post, she shared graphic images of her stitched heel and showed doctors inspecting her foot—perhaps to prove to the skeptics that she indeed did get shot.
Source: Ysa Pérez for Rolling Stone
In October last year, a judge ordered the 29-year-old rapper to stay at least 100 yards away from Megan and to surrender any firearms he might have in his possession. As Megan performed at Rolling Loud Miami in July, Tory violated the conditions of his bond by being within 100 yards of Megan. The violation saw his bail increase from $190,000 to $250,000. On top of that, the “Skat” rapper was prohibited from performing at any events that Megan would be attending.
Tory Lanez, whose legal name is Daystar Peterson, faces two pending felony charges for assault with a semiautomatic firearm and for the possession of an unregistered gun in his car. Additionally, he faces an extra charge of causing bodily harm- Megan’s alleged shooting. If found guilty, Tory faces up to 22 years and eight months in prison.