This has been a crazy time in NFL history where Free agency has been almost anti-climactic because of all of the quarterback movement and trades. Russell Wilson who looked like he might stay in Seattle was moved to Denver.
Out of nowhere Tom Brady blows up the NFL universe by returning to the Buccaneers. Carson Wentz was traded away from Indianapolis to the Commanders.
Deshaun Watson’s legal picture has cleared up a little bit, as we know he will not be criminally charged so teams have started creating packages to trade for him. Amari Cooper was also traded from Dallas to Cleveland, as Dallas gets Cooper off the books to clear cap space.
Pittsburgh has also signed Mitch Trubisky to fill their need for QB1.
Let’s also take into account that Aaron Rodgers, Devante Adams, and Kirk Cousins are all staying put at the current teams. The last major move that moved the needle was Khalil Mack being traded to the LA Chargers for draft picks. All of these moves have set the table for free agency.
Below we’ll list notable NFL Free agents that should get a lot of interest as the legal tampering period starts Monday March 14th.
- Terron Armstead – Offensive Tackle. (Has injury issues but when healthy is one of the best left tackles in the league.)
- Tryann Mathieu – Safety (Great addition to anyone’s secondary, has been vital to the back end of the Chiefs’ defense.)
- Jarvis Landry – WR (Vet receiver that should make a solid addition to someone’s team as a solid #2 receiver.)
- Brandon Scherff – OG (One of if not the best guards that will be on the market, has injury issues, but when healthy Scherff is one of the best in the business, but he will cost you).
- Odell Beckham – WR (Fresh off of a Super Bowl win, and more importantly an ACL tear, OBJ isn’t the explosive player he once was, but even after another leg injury, he could bolster any receiving corp).
- Duane Brown – OT (Good help at Offensive tackle is hard to find, Brown is 37 years old, but you should be able to attain him without paying top dollar)
- Bobby Wagner – LB (Great leader, but has declining skills in coverage, but he still is an improvement at that position for most teams)
- Jadaveon Clowney EDGE – Has not had the career many thought he would, but he’s still a solid pass rusher that can help a team, but doubt he gets more than a one year deal.
- Rob Gronkowski – TE (With his football BFF back in Tampa, maybe Gronk makes another run Brady.) “Lets GOOO!”
- Juju Smith-Schuster WR –Is only 25, and if you can keep him focused, he’s got the potential to go for 1400 plus yards. But has had some downward trending seasons, but in the right system he can thrive.
Free agency officially opens at the start of the league year March 16th at 4 p.m., EDT. The Salary cap for the 2022 season is 208.2 million dollars.