This list is things I’d like to see happen in sports in 2022. So, it’s sort of a Christmas list and a New Year’s resolution list combined into one. Things I want to see changed or things I want to see happen in the next upcoming sports year.
Happy Holidays to you and yours, now let’s get this thing started.
- Let’s all admit that trading for Russell Westbrook was a terrible idea, he didn’t work out in Houston, it worked out ok in Washington. But he wasn’t a part of the long term plan, and it’s not working at all in Los Angeles. He makes a ton of money, which makes him tough to trade, but teams still find a way to do it, he turns the ball over often and he’s not a great mid-range or 3- point shooter. Rob Pelinka, clean up a mess you made and trade Russell Westbrook.
Likelihood of it occurring. If they can find a trade partner, Westbrook would be gone tomorrow. 100%
- Can we get rid of all of these meaningless bowl games? If you go 6-6, you don’t deserve to be in post season play or to make extra money for your school. Expand the playoffs to 8-12 teams, use the big bowl games and sites as playoff games and call it a day. We don’t need the Bahamas Bowl, the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Just stop the madness. I don’t believe you need conference championship games either unless they earn you an automatic bid to the playoffs. But that is a discussion for another day.
Likelihood of occurring. Talks have been on an off about expanding the playoffs, eventually it happens probably not happening though in 2022.
- NFL Team Owners, stop hiring college coaches. It generally does not work. Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Kelly, Petrino, Schiano, Holtz, and many more it just does not end well. There are tons of talented assistant coaches out there, hire one of those guys. Find the next Matt LaFleur, or Sean McVay, or do something crazy like hire Eric Bienemy who has been the offensive coordinator behind Patrick Mahomes.
Likelihood Team Owners stay away from College guys. 50%
- College athletes, now that NIL is a thing, stay in school a year longer. Now that you can get that deal from Nike, Gatorade, Under Armor etc., to take care of your family, stay in school an extra year and develop as a human. Let your body grow and develop and develop as an athlete. Of course this is on a case by case basis, but I see so many guys come into the NBA and it takes them two or three years to develop. If they stay in college another year and develop their skills and fundamentals just a little longer they can improve their draft stocks gain some big game experience and life experience and make an impact on the league faster.
Likelihood? The allure of the pros is a lot but I believe one or two guys will stay longer.
- In boxing I’d like to see two of the top 135 pound fighters actually fight each other. Tank vs Garcia. Haney vs Tank. Haney vs Kambosos. Loma vs Haney. Doesn’t matter which two guys but it’s time these guys stopped avoiding each other and got passed the politics and fought each other. The other boxing wish is to finally see Spence vs Crawford. Manny Pacquiao is out of the picture. Terrance Crawford is out of his Top Rank deal, Ugas has a mandatory defense, there’s no hurdles in the way. Get it done.
Likelihood, don’t hold your breath folks.